The Village of Hecker had its beginnings first as the town of Freedom, with the first house built in 1849. Hecker, located at the intersection of Illinois Routes 156 and 159, is on the eastern tip of Monroe County.
In 1895, due to the discontent of the citizens of Freedom, with the muddy roads and lack of sidewalks, they decided to incorporate. Primarily because of complaints by the Post Office, the village had to decide on another name for itself, because there was another town named Freedom in Illinois, causing great confusion.
Hecker, as it is known today, is named for German revolutionist, patriot, orator and civil war hero, Friedrich Franz Karl Hecker. It is believed that Col. Hecker liked the area so much that on one occasion he stayed at a hotel in Freedom. Because of his personality, courteous dealings and intellect, the people of Freedom decided to name their village after him.