The Village enforces Zoning Codes and manages Building Permits and Occupancy Permits.
Contact Zoning Administrator for more information at… 618-473-2300 Ext. 13
- Guidelines for Occupancy Permits
- As required under Property Maintenance Code (Ordinance 29-1-1)
- Originally adopted 8/11/1998
- Re-adopted 4/1/2008 as part of a comprehensive ordinance review and update.
- Occupancy permit process and procedures implemented effective 2/1/2009
An occupancy permit is required on any residence (owner occupied or non-owner occupied) or commercial property located in the Village of Hecker. The purpose of this requirement is to maintain a minimum level of property maintenance and safety.
Occupancy Permit Fees and Costs
Multi-Family Rental Structure Inspection Fee – $130.00 per dwelling unit
This fee is required to be paid before an inspection will be scheduled and is valid for a period of one (1) year. The dwelling unit does not have to be re-inspected during that period, even if the occupancy changes
Single Family/Manufactured Home/Mobile Home Inspection Fee – $130.00
This fee is required to be paid before an inspection will be scheduled and is valid for a period of one (1) year. The dwelling unit does not have to be re-inspected during that period, even if the occupancy changes.
Occupancy permit fee – $25.00
Certificate of Occupancy fee shall be paid at the time the certificate is issued. It shall be the responsibility of the tenant/occupant to apply for the certificate of occupancy after the application for occupancy has been approved
- Copy of an existing Occupancy Permit Fee – $20.00
ALL FEES SHALL BE NON-REFUNDABLE
Tips and Suggestions
The following items are a few of the things that are looked at when an inspection is performed. To prevent costly re-inspections, it is your best interest to complete as many of these repairs as you can before you call for an inspection.
- Check all pipes and faucets for leakage and corrosion.
- Check that all drains are in proper working condition.
- Toilets should be secured to floor and in working condition.
- Furnace should be clean.
- Gas furnaces must have a shut off valve.
- Carbon Monoxide Detector must be installed within 15 feet of bedrooms and on each level of home.
- All bathrooms must have a window or an operable exhaust fan for ventilation.
- There must be at least one (1) GFCI outlet in each bathroom.
- Check all pipes for leakage of sewer gas.
- Floors to be impervious to water
- Walls around tub/shower must be in good condition.
- Bathroom must have adequate lighting.
- Kitchen must have a sink in proper working order, cabinets.shelves, counter, stove hook-up and refrigerator hook-up.
- Basement must be clean and free from rubbish.
- Basement must be structurally sound.
Stairs and Porches
- All stairs must be properly attached and secure.
- Stairs with more than four (4) risers must have a handrail.
- All balconies and porches that are thirty (30) inches above floor or grade must have a guardrail.
- All guardrail spindles must be no greater than four (4) inches apart.
- All balconies, guardrails and handrails must be kept in good condition and painted.
Roofs and Gutters
- All gutters and down spouts must be in working order and free from leaks.
- Roof must be free of leaks.
- Check for rotted wood on overhangs, fascia, etc. all exterior wood must be painted.
- Any cracks, missing brick must be made not to let in water, insects or rodents.
Doors, Windows and Exterior Woodwork
- Replace all rotted wood and paint.
- Siding is maintained and functional
- All windows must have locks and be in operable working condition.
- All windows must have screens.
- Windows must be free of cracks and broken glass, screens free of tears or holes.
- Scrape and paint all wood around windows that is peeling and chipping.
- Re-glaze windows where compound is dried, cracked or missing.
- All doors must be sealed properly.
- Deadbolts must be turn style, double key not allowed.
- All rooms must have windows in good repair.
Accessory Structures (Garages, Sheds, Etc.)
- All accessory structures/ fences must be in compliance and in good repair.
- All accessory structures must be kept free of trash, debris and vermin.
- All bedrooms must meet the following requirements for occupancy:
- For one person – minimum of 70 square feet.
- 50 square feet increase in footage per extra person.
- All bedrooms are required to have a closet of at least five (5) square feet with a rod to hang clothes.
- All bedrooms must have a door for privacy.
- If you have to pass through a room to get to another room it does not qualify as a legal bedroom.
- All bedrooms must have a working smoke detector.
- Standing water – grading and drainage problem from structure and property.
- Trees, shrubs and grass properly maintained.
If you have any questions, please call