The Village enforces Zoning Codes and manages Building Permits and Occupancy Permits.
Contact Zoning Administrator for more information at… 618-473-2300 Ext. 13
Guidelines for Occupancy Permits
- As required under Property Maintenance Code (Ordinance 29-1-1)
- Originally adopted 8/11/1998
- Re-adopted 4/1/2008 as part of a comprehensive ordinance review and update.
- Occupancy permit process and procedures implemented effective 2/1/2009
- Copy of an existing Occupancy Permit Fee – $20.00
- Check all pipes and faucets for leakage and corrosion.
- Check that all drains are in proper working condition.
- Toilets should be secured to floor and in working condition.
- Furnace should be clean.
- Gas furnaces must have a shut off valve.
- Carbon Monoxide Detector must be installed within 15 feet of bedrooms and on each level of home.
- All bathrooms must have a window or an operable exhaust fan for ventilation.
- There must be at least one (1) GFCI outlet in each bathroom.
- Check all pipes for leakage of sewer gas.
- Floors to be impervious to water
- Walls around tub/shower must be in good condition.
- Bathroom must have adequate lighting.
- Kitchen must have a sink in proper working order, cabinets.shelves, counter, stove hook-up and refrigerator hook-up.
- Basement must be clean and free from rubbish.
- Basement must be structurally sound.
- All stairs must be properly attached and secure.
- Stairs with more than four (4) risers must have a handrail.
- All balconies and porches that are thirty (30) inches above floor or grade must have a guardrail.
- All guardrail spindles must be no greater than four (4) inches apart.
- All balconies, guardrails and handrails must be kept in good condition and painted.
- All gutters and down spouts must be in working order and free from leaks.
- Roof must be free of leaks.
- Check for rotted wood on overhangs, fascia, etc. all exterior wood must be painted.
- Any cracks, missing brick must be made not to let in water, insects or rodents.
- Replace all rotted wood and paint.
- Siding is maintained and functional
- All windows must have locks and be in operable working condition.
- All windows must have screens.
- Windows must be free of cracks and broken glass, screens free of tears or holes.
- Scrape and paint all wood around windows that is peeling and chipping.
- Re-glaze windows where compound is dried, cracked or missing.
- All doors must be sealed properly.
- Deadbolts must be turn style, double key not allowed.
- All rooms must have windows in good repair.
- All accessory structures/ fences must be in compliance and in good repair.
- All accessory structures must be kept free of trash, debris and vermin.
- All bedrooms must meet the following requirements for occupancy:
An occupancy permit is required on any residence (owner occupied or non-owner occupied) or commercial property located in the Village of Hecker. The purpose of this requirement is to maintain a minimum level of property maintenance and safety.
Occupancy Permit Fees and Costs
Multi-Family Rental Structure Inspection Fee – $100.00 per dwelling unit
This fee is required to be paid before an inspection will be scheduled and is valid for a period of one (1) year. The dwelling unit does not have to be re-inspected during that period, even if the occupancy changes
Single Family/Manufactured Home/Mobile Home Inspection Fee – $100.00
This fee is required to be paid before an inspection will be scheduled and is valid for a period of one (1) year. The dwelling unit does not have to be re-inspected during that period, even if the occupancy changes.
Occupancy permit fee – $25.00
Certificate of Occupancy fee shall be paid at the time the certificate is issued. It shall be the responsibility of the tenant/occupant to apply for the certificate of occupancy after the application for occupancy has been approved
ALL FEES SHALL BE NON-REFUNDABLE
Tips and Suggestions
The following items are a few of the things that are looked at when an inspection is performed. To prevent costly re-inspections, it is your best interest to complete as many of these repairs as you can before you call for an inspection.
Stairs and Porches
Roofs and Gutters
Doors, Windows and Exterior Woodwork
Accessory Structures (Garages, Sheds, Etc.)
- For one person – minimum of 70 square feet.
- 50 square feet increase in footage per extra person.
- All bedrooms are required to have a closet of at least five (5) square feet with a rod to hang clothes.
- All bedrooms must have a door for privacy.
- If you have to pass through a room to get to another room it does not qualify as a legal bedroom.
- All bedrooms must have a working smoke detector.
- Standing water – grading and drainage problem from structure and property.
- Trees, shrubs and grass properly maintained.
If you have any questions, please call